CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day Eight


Today was only the eight day in the revolutionary army; however, we had a major battle that changed me. In the morning, we had to hold till Captain Mendoza came with the rest of the force. As soon as the rest of the force came, we together attacked the loyalist and crossed the river to San Ildefonso. Though I was glad that we could make it across the river as it meant we had hope of winning the war, I panicked when I couldn't see Lolo and Nacio. I felt like I couldn't fight without Lolo next to me, but I managed to shoot the loyalists. Because I was shot on my shoulder during the battle, I didn't know what happened to us until Nacio told me that we lost. He also told me that he was going to be sent to US to be a doctor and that Lolo was hurt and was being treated. Juan was safe now as I saved him and Whistler ran away from the enemy while I bravely stood up against the loyalists. The most important news is that Captain Mendoza is sending me home to study and become a school teacher! I was excited though I felt uneasy as well.
During this whole eight day experience, I learned a lot of things. I learned how to shoot, about the revolutions, the cruelty of loyalists, how to care for people, the importance of food, losses and gains in the war, etc. Most importantly, I learned what it means to become a "soldier". Becoming a soldier doesn't mean becoming someone who just kills people in a war; it means becoming someone who cares about people, not killing, who can endure pain through a war no matter what happens, and who is always a soldier no matter where one is.

Picture source:
http://www.killpoverty.net/photos/Child%20Soldiers/drc_children_congolese_child_soldier-full.jpg

0 comments: